Saturday, 8 January 2011

Evermore - Alyson Noel


Book #10 of 50 on the Goodreads Book Challenge

GENRE: Young Adult
PAGES: 384
PUBLISHER: Macmillan Books
FORMAT: Paperback
BUY IT: Waterstones

RATING
 

SUMMARY
Seventeen-year-old Ever is the sole survivor of a car crash that killed her entire family. Living with her aunt in Southern California, she's plagued by the ability to hear the thoughts of those around her, and haunted by the ghost of her little sister. She tries to tune everyone out, shunning her old lifestyle as the pretty, popular cheerleader, but somehow she can't hide from Damen, the new guy at school. Stunningly handsome, clever and not a little bit intimidating, there's something about him that doesn't quite add up. Ever realises he's hiding something, but nothing could prepare her for the truth - especially when the truth involves past lives, murderous enemies, everlasting love and the secret of eternal youth.


REVIEW
This was another book that I bought but put off reading for fear of having to read about another pointless teenage soppy romance. (I should probably stop judging books by the synopsis). I was also put off by the fact that authors seem to think that writing a book is an excuse to give people silly names that normal people on the street would beat you up for having. Again, I was proved wrong (though not about the names).

Ever really is a likeable character, and I love that she actually changed from a blonde-wannabe to a sensible middle-of-the-road girl. However, I did cringe at the description of - and behaviour of - her friend Haven. I'd like to say Gothic Goddess but she's just a hopeless stereotype. Despite this it does have a great storyline; a good description of grief, loss, blame, obsession and the inability to let go of the people we love. I defy anyone to read this without feeling something for Ever's situation. Losing your family isn't something that goes unnoticed.

The only thing I didn't like so much about this book was Drina. Her character isn't very well introduced or developed for someone so threatening to Ever. Damen is also not the most lovable character, despite who he is revealed to be. Riley though I happen to love, and I look forward to reading her mini-series. I'm giving this book 4 stars because Ever really is a great character and her relationship with Riley is touching too. I'm not sure how the rest of the series will turn out but I'm looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment