Sunday, 9 January 2011

Awakened - P.C Cast


Book #1 of 50 on the Goodreads Book Challenge

GENRE: Young Adult
PAGES: 304
PUBLISHER: ATOM Books
FORMAT: Hardback
BUY IT: Waterstones

RATING

SUMMARY
Exonerated by the Vampyre High Council and returned to her position of High Priestess at Tulsa's House of Night, Neferet has sworn vengeance on Zoey. But Zoey has found sanctuary on the Isle of Skye and is being groomed by Queen Sgiach to take over for her there. Being Queen would be cool, wouldn't it? And what about Stevie Rae and Rephraim? The Raven Mocker refuses to be used against Stevie Rae, but what choice does he have when no one in the entire world, including Zoey, would be ok with their relationship? Does he betray his father or his heart?

REVIEW
Awakened is the 8th book in P.C Cast's House of Night series and by far the most dissapointing. I honestly believe that this book could be condensed down into a couple of chapters. In fact, as much as I loved the first books, I think the same could be said for most of this series. It's most redeeming feature is that it's a quick read, so at least you can feel as though you've accomplished something.

I have long been confused by the intended readership of this series; it is classed as YA, has a writing style for 12/13 year olds and content for those much older. Perhaps at 23 I am starting to feel rather old and jaded before my time, but I don't have this opinion for other YA books. Awakened made me feel patronised, as though the message about humanity, Lightness and Darkness hadn't sunk in during the last 7 books. Its message is completely repetitive and I find its ideas about morality far too simplified and straightforward.

I read this series out of habit now, and although I know it has a very loyal readership I still feel there are much better series out there. Try Jana Oliver's Demon Trapper series, for instance. Or Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instruments.

No comments:

Post a Comment